Yesterday I visited a local small farm, Filbert Acres Farm, inquiring about their rare Buckeye chickens and Copper Marans. I bought 10, which brings the fowl total to 28 chickens. Firstly, I love this farm's mission:
'We are exploring organic certification. For now, be assured that our land has not seen chemical pesticide or fertilizer use for more than a decade. It is our conviction that we have a responsibility to farm sustainably.'
Sadly, a large portion of their Filbert grove had been cut down last week due to blight. It was sad seeing these 60 year old trees as piles of limbs, and I realized that this was a large part of the farm's income that had suddenly been lost. Farming is damn hard work and the payoff is small, and breaking even is a cause for celebration. I won't go so far as to say that what I have can be considered a farm at this point, but I very much feel the price of things these days.
Anyways, I'm signing up for their CSA share as this is the type of farm that I want to support. I feel more connected and linked with the communtiy when I buy local instead of from Safeway, and that gives me warm fuzzies. So do these:
| The Java hens are growing fast. Last night they were perching and pecking like old pros. They are about 2 weeks at this point. |
I've signed up for my first CSA this year, bi-weekly share, so I don't go crazy trying to grow everything possible.
ReplyDeleteSo excited to hear someone else has the CSA warm fuzzies!
Adorable little hens, too.